Be ye strong and of good courage, be ye not afraid, do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you, wherever you go.



Wednesday, April 27, 2011

They're not Retarded!!!

The thing that gets me riled up the most is when people use the word "retarded" They use it to mean dumb, childish, and a whole lot of other things, and they also call people with mental disabilities retarded. I havetry  two siblings with disabilities and let me tell you, They're not Retarded! They're not stupid or dumb, and no, they don't have hearing loss. So often when people - strangers and otherwise- try and talk to my special siblings, they get right down in their face and yell very loudly, "Hi there cutie, I'm M m m Mary" or something along those lines. My siblings can understand alot more than people realize, we can be watching a movie and my nine year old sister (with special needs) will laugh at the funny parts just like a "normal" kid. (I put normal in quotes because what is normal? God made each of us special) I'm around alot of special people, and honestly, they are some of the funnest people to be around, they're so, I don't really know how to describe them, maybe innocent, childlike, I don't know. Anyways, every time I hear the word "Retarded" I cringe, and so do alot of other people, so many people think it's just another 'cool' word, It's Not! Don't use it! Sometimes when people walk up to me when I'm with my special siblings and ask "oh, is she retarded or something?" They don't realize it, but they're acting like she can't hear them or understand them. They understand so much more than even my family knows.

Anyways, sorry if that didn't make any sense at all, I just had to write that. feel free to email me if you want to know more.

Hannah~

3 comments:

  1. You made perfect sense :) I understand too. I've never liked it when people call "retarted" people that. I'd like to adopt some of those kids one day to help them. They're just like us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to adopt a special child someday as well. Glad I made sense :) Thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete